Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog Assignment 2

1. Did You Know 3.0 by Karl Fisch

     All I can say is Wow. These are astonishing facts! They are also a bit scary. Does this mean that with       time, technology will rule our World? Will humans no longer need to think for themselves? I am amazed a the numbers of people we can reach through computers, etc. I am also thankful for the technology we have in     today's society but when is enough really enough? We can learn so much and we are now capable of having  the World in our hands. 
     At some point we will have to think for ourselves. If we totally rely on the computer, ipod, texts, etc. We will never challenge our own minds. I watch my teenagers text and always wonder, how this will affect their speaking skills. It's like they can text a person all day but, if they were in the same room with them they would be at a lose of words. I understand why we need technology to help us but, there has to be some sort of balance.
2. Mr. Winkle Wakes by Mathew Needleman
     I see how the World changed after 100 years for Mr. Winkle. On the other hand I think he would see more new things in the school. Schools are not the same as they were 100 years. They are not the same as they were when I was in school (many years ago). The video is an eye opener as far as how much we depend on technology. I think many times we take these things for granted. Our hospitals, for instance are almost entirely computerized. This helps save a lot of lives, where as years ago many lives were lost.
     I am sure if we went to sleep now and woke up in 100 years, we would be beside our selves. The way our World and technology are growing, our whole outlook will be changed in 5 to 10 years. It's great to have technology in our schools. If the children do not learn through technology, they will not be able to survive in this World.
3. Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
     Sir Ken Robinson has some very interesting points. Since all children are different, they will all learn different. It does seem that sometimes children are limited to the ways they can learn. In some schools, teachers do not want to allow creativity. How can we teach a student to explore if we limit their abilities? Children do not want to be bored in class that will not spark an interest. They should be able to explore the possibilities.

     When my children come home with homework, I always allow them to have fun learning. One of my daughters always has to have music on to concentrate. Yes, I know to some it sounds ridiculous. To me, I understand because I am the same way. I cannot study in quietness. Maybe it has something to do with having a big family. I do not know. Children should be encouraged to sing, dance, paint, and take things apart, whatever it takes. Who knows you just may be teaching the next Picasso. It is not fair to limit a child with learning. The only way some children may catch on is by their on style of learning and then others by learn from watching them.
4.Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
     I love this video. Vicki Davis has awesome teaching/learning skills. I believe what she is doing is imperative to students today. The students seem to enjoy it and they are learning as they have fun. Isn't that what it's all about. Like I said before our children have to be able to understand and use technology in the World today.
     I am glad she is getting this program out there and maybe it will reach other places as well. Students need this. I love to see children involved and having fun. As a mother of teenagers, I assure you they would have a blast in this class room.

2 comments:

  1. Robin,

    You asked several questions throughout your post? That's great! I love questions.

    Pertaining to your questions on "Did you Know?", I do think that it is possible that technology will one day rule our world. I already think that technology has a huge impact on us. Almost everyone at least has a cellphone, and now that we have technology, we certainly can't live without it. I know children in elementary schools that have cellphones. I didn't get my cellphone until I turned 16, and that was only 5 years ago. So yes, technology will definitely rule our world!

    I also think that humans will have to think for themselves, but not in the way we do now. When my mother was in school, she had to do long division math and did not use a calculator. Today, students always get a calculator. The more technology grows, the easier our lives will become, and the less we have to think for ourselves.

    Lastly, I don't think enough will ever be enough. It is like the American Dream. People will never be satisfied. The more we have, the more we want. The concept applies to every aspect in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Robin! I'm Allie and a fellow EDM310-er. :)

    I really enjoyed reading your responses to these videos!

    I said the exact same thing about the Did You Know? video - sometimes thinking about about the future is kind of scary! I'm all for technology making life easier, but I don't know how I feel about robots doing everything for us! It kind of reminds me of the movie Wall-E. Have you seen it?

    I both agree and disagree with what you said about Mr. Winkle Wakes. Schools are very much so the same as they were 100 years ago. School days are mostly spend listening to a teacher lecture and taking notes. And the computer classes that most school offer do not go much further than teaching students Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. And that just doesn't fly in today's society!

    I loved what you had to say about both Ken Robinson and Vicki Davis! They're people that we future teachers can definitely learn from!

    ReplyDelete