Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog Post 3

1. Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today (4:45)
When I first started college, all the students overwhelmed me. Of course, I have been out of school for many years. I am presently taking at class that has over 100 students. I know I have teachers who do not know my name. I feel like I am not as educated as some of the younger students, as far as technology. I am working on that and I enjoy learning about all the different things that is out there. I would like to say that I cannot remember a time that I got 7 hours of sleep. As for myself, I use my time studying when I am not in class. I know several students who goof off on their laptops during class, and one day I think they will regret it.

2. "It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
I can relate to what Ms. Hines is saying. When teachers are learning, they are more equipped to teach the students. Technology is a fast growing thing in today’s society. I know of schools that have computers, and all the students are focused on is how they can get on facebook, etc. I think it is great for the students learn how computers and different tools work. Some teachers use the tools as “babysitters”. In this case, the students usually end up teaching themselves. Technology may be evolving, but the way we teach about technology is nothing new. When we teach about planets, math, or anything else, it is still the same principal.

3. Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I realize that teachers have a lot on their plate. Being a teacher is like being a parent, even when you’re off work you still have things to do. In my opinion, it is a teacher’s responsibility to make sure they know what to teach students. I agree with Mr. Fisch. How will we be able to teach students in ten years, if we have no clue what we are teaching. Rather teachers like it or not technology is here and it is progresses fast. It is just one of those things that we have to do. I do not think that everyone has a problem with learning all the high tech things we have today. As our world changes we (teachers, students, people) must change with it.
 
Amazing! Although I know these things are happening, I never really thought about putting numbers to it. As a future teacher, I want to be prepared to teach my students about all the new technology. Most children probably will know how to use these before the adults. It is exciting to be a part of such an astonishing change in our world. The social count is great and really helps put things into perspective.
http://www.personalizemedia.com/garys-social-media-count/
4. Gary Hayes Social Media Count
http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-it-okay-to-be-technologically.html

1 comment:

  1. What does Dr. Wesch's video say about how colleges and their employees organize and deliver instruction?

    My prediction: in 15 years most schools will have become baby sitting institutes except for football and students will be teaching themselves - not because teachers use technology as babysitters but because the way we teach will have changed and the new technologies will have empowered students to be learners on their own. This will present a real challenge to those who are not self-directed, committed learners. they will end up with jobs in the service sector.

    Yes, technology is here and is rapidly changing the world in which we live and work.

    ReplyDelete