Thursday, October 14, 2010

Additional Assignment #2|

Sugata Mitra: The child-driven education Video on TED.com
I believe people can teach themselves. Without a doubt, motivated thinkers of all ages can teach themselves. One day I gave my 3-year-old Nintendo ds to play with, within a couple of hours, she knew how to play a game. They have to want to learn. Basically, if people want to know how something works; they will be eager to learn. Computers can play a big role in the education process. I do not think students cannot learn without a computer. Most access play (rather good or bad) is teaching our children something. Children are exposed to more resources when they use the internet. Motivation has everything to do with learning. People in general are very curious about different things. When I was in school, my teacher always told us to look things up in the dictionary. My favorite phrase to tell my own children is “google it.” Even if I know the answer to what they are asking, I think it will stay with them if they take the time and effort to search for it. Solving problems forces the students to search and try to find the answer. They can talk with their classmates and work together. When this is done, students are more likely to remember what they have gone over. I believe learning should be fun and creative. It is hard for me to get motivated if I am not interested in the material. I have some classes that do not bring out my thought process at all but I have to make myself remember it. Since I am not motivated in those classes, I do not think I learn the material. I think at that point, I just memorize it enough to pass the test. When my teachers are excited to teach, I get excited too. In my mind, I am thinking, “Wow this must be something worth learning.” I have taught myself different things before. I have in the past taken online classes, and the teacher did not provide much help or information. I just took things into my own hands and did what I had to do. After watching the video, I realize that children will learn if they are curious enough. Children want to learn. It is a teacher’s responsibility to plant a seed for students. In cases where there are no teachers, children can teach themselves. They may not know they are doing this, like head fakes. Children may be just curious and this curiosity leads to learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment