Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Post #8


Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
I think that as future teachers, we will be able to write with multimedia. That’s what we are doing: learning, studying, experimenting so that we are able to teach our students. The more we know, the easier it will be for us to teach. Let’s face it; children are much easier to teach than adults are. This video was very educational and made me think a lot. As the world around us transforms from paper/pen to laptops/technology, I think the future teachers will be ready. I do worry about the people who are already teachers. Will they go back and take classes to enable themselves to teach the students about technology?
The internet has unlimited resources. It is not necessary to go to a library when you have everything readily available. One thing that Mr. Miller said that really got my attention was things on the internet are there indefinitely. Yes, I remember Dr. strange always telling us we are leaving a intellectual trail. I guess it just finally sunk in when I was watching this video.
Rather some people like it or not, technology is here. If our children and we ourselves want to succeed, we must get educated to do so. If my kindergartener does not learn how to use multimedia, by the time she graduates, she will be behind. I believe in the near future, school will no longer use textbooks but computers. The students will be carrying around laptops instead of books.

 
Posted by Picasa

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies are both great videos. Jamie Lynn and everyone involved hit on what a lot of us feel at times. Edm310 can get overwhelming at times. I love the fact that I have learned so much in this class though. I know it will be well worth it in the end. If I were going to create a video on my EDM310 class, I would what the outcome is like at the end of the semester. All of us will be well educated and yes, it is crazy and makes us feel like pulling our hair out. When it is all said and done, we will be thankful to Dr. strange and his staff for pushing us past our comfort zone. We are the future educators and therefore, we are the ones who are responsible for teacher our students technology. I have learned so many helpful tools. When we finally get a classroom of our own, we will probably be the ones teaching the other teachers as well as students what we have learned.

Critiques of Smartboards
The smart board has 4 colored markers to use and erasers. Your work can be saved on it. I think it is exciting for students to play the educational games. I am sure it is hard to write neatly with smart boards. Some teachers may find smart boards challenging because they do not fully understand how to use it. They are expensive but I think they are worth the cost. That is just my personal opinion. When I was searching different things about Smartboards, I came across this:
http://smartboards.typepad.com/smartboard/#
Another blog I found is by Kelli Boklaschuk. She is an Instructional Team Leader at Saskatoon Catholic Cyber School. Check out what she has to say about Smartboards.
 
Posted by Picasa


http://blog.scs.sk.ca/ilovesmartboards/

1 comment:

  1. Robin,

    You are right that the majority of future teachers will be able to write using multimedia. The ability to use technology in a classroom is definitely becoming more and more popular and needed. We will most likely need to teach other teachers we come into contact with. My only concern with what you said is that libraries are not necessary and books will be replaced with laptops. I personally love the library, and I have found things there that I could not get on the internet. I love holding a book and reading it. While I also love technology, I do not want it to completely replace every material available to us.

    ReplyDelete